* For a long time, Douthat has been lifting, and sanitizing, #altright, HBD, and paleo ideas for his columns.
* Buckley didn’t capture the conservatives for neos. He created a terrible movement, which was taken over partially by neos.
* Certainly, an authentic (though naive) small-town libertarian-conservatism existed pre-Buckley.
* Also, neocons came from the Trotskyist-Marxist left, before entering the Right after Reagan.
* Interestingly, the neocons and “conservatives” had so many elective affinities: foreign policy, America = capitalism, etc.
* I have a hard time w/ idea that neocons “hijacked” conservatism, as it implies that the Buckley-ite movement was ever good.