Joan rested comfortably during the night. She tolerated the surgery well. The swelling in her face has greatly decreased. At variously times she has appeared to recognize familiar voices and has started to fleetingly open her eyes in response. They had suspended feeding her intraveniously while she was waiting for the surgery; that feeding is now resumed. She is no longer sedated but is on a morphine drip. The third part of yesterday’s surgery–the part that was not completed–the insertion of a plate and screws to repair the humerus–is now scheduled for this coming Friday.
The action for today is for Joan to undergo an MRI and a C-T scan. The ICU is prepping her for these even as this is being written. Joan had been in a support collar from the beginning and they are now thinking of removing it, hence the MRI, to see if they can proceed. Relative to the C-T scan, Joan had suffered a substantial impact to the head, and while there was no fracture, there had been an internal bleed. The C-T scan will give us an up to date picture of where we are on this front.